Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Montreal vs. Toronto: Street Meat Edition




On February 9th it was the one year anniversary of my move to Toronto. I will post a series of articles giving my two cents on the major differences between the two cities.

Let’s start somewhere random: street meat. For those unfamiliar with downtown Toronto, it is impossible to walk more than two blocks without being enticed or assaulted (depends on hunger) with the smell of hot-dogs. Every few blocks a small metal booth is visible. These plastic tarp-sheltered booths typically contain a propane grill, various condiments and a hard working immigrant trying to satisfy his customers’ need for sausage.

The glistening “street meat” served by the vendors is tasty although a little disappointing. I don’t think I ate more than 1 or 2 in my first year in Toronto. They seem to be a perfect end to a night of drinking and dancing! Since I don’t frequent clubs anymore, this might be responsible for my low sausage intake. To be honest I would trade all the hot dog stands in Toronto for a decent falafel or shawarma sandwich. Nothing but disappointment in terms of Arabic food in Toronto… I miss Lebanese immigrants!

4 comments:

  1. lol... Montreal rules! But really, I'm shocked that there aren't lebanese restaurants in Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love my arabic restaurants here!!! although you have great asian food, nothing beats a great shish-taouk or a good walk in Adonis on a saturday afternoon!!!
    and who enjoys eating at a corner street? I need a table and napkins!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half the fun of eating a hot dog on the street though is trying to to spill the relish and onions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. street hot dogs are why there are more over weight people in toronto....you like eat a meal while walking to a restaurant to buy a meal...

    ReplyDelete